"You must be half mad!"


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



5AM. Friday. The alarm is turned off. Temperature outside reads 12 degrees. The sky is still pitch dark. And here go two guys, dressed in clothes fit for a hot summer day by the beach, cycling away each minute as they bicker about the cold. 15mins later they're by the river side, still shaking from the cold winds, only to hear from their coach .... "I've gotta hand it to all you guys here. Cuz you must be half mad to get up so early and come down here in the mornings"!! Not very reassuring as you can see....

This is what I've gotten myself into every week. University Rowing. Couple of days a week, a handful of us guys and girls meet at a boat shed by the river, lift out long and heavy boats, carry them into the water, knee deep mind you, plop them down, while carefully trying to avoid all the jellyfish lurking around. Then comes about 2hrs of training, where we're taught to row on different types of boats, and master the technique. Today, being a bit colder and windier that usual, it was concluded that it probably wasn't too safe to head out into the water today. So our coach decided to give us the '...you must be half mad...' pep talk. Now I did do some rowing back when I was in school, but that seemed more laid back compared to this. I was just informed that irrespective of how good or bad I was at rowing, by the end of the season, i.e, sometime around September, we would all be entered to compete in the state championships!! So there's a lot to work for. I do throughly enjoy the sport, but while it may look easy, its quite physically demanding. And thats not quite my strong point. And the fact that I have to get up before the sun rises doesn't quite help either. But this year has been different. I seem to be getting more things done (least i hope so), but still find myself with a reasonably good amount of spare time, which can't be a bad thing....

Here's the million dollar question....use this time to row? or to snore?

I guess I'll take my chances with the jellyfish....


0 Responses to “"You must be half mad!"”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




Google

About me

Blogs of Note..

The Pics Are Here

Stuff I wrote b4..

Archives

Subscribe using RSS






I know I've got talent. I'm just not too sure where the heck I put it!!!

Free Web Counter
Hit Counter